Château Haut Bages Averous is the second wines of Château Lynch-Bages. As testified by certain title deeds dating from the 16th century, the origins of this renowned growth go back to remote antiquity. “Domaine de Bages” was recorded as a single property as early as the 16th century. Half the current name is taken from the plateau upon which the chateau stands, and the rest results from 75 years of ownership during the 17th and 18th century by Thomas Lynch, the son of an Irish immigrant, whose family ran the property.
The winegrowing and winemaking techniques for Haut Bages Averous are identical to Lynch Bages. The grapes are picked manually and the vinification takes place in steel tanks, after which all the wine is put directly into small French oak casks. When the time comes for selecting, repeated tasting are made.
The wines originating from younger wines, being quite aromatic and lighter in tannin, will be destined for the wines of Château Haut-Bages Averous. Chateau Lynch-Bages contributes 20-30% of its production annually to producing Haut-Bages-Averous.
- Area under vines: 85ha.
- Grape varieties: Cabernet Sauvignon 75%, Cabernet Franc 10%, Merlot 15%.
- Av. prod.: 7,000 cases.
- Distr. of vines.: 5 parcels.
- Soil: Medium gravel & round stony pebbles over a subsoil of chalk or heavy clayey sand & pebbles.
- Added yeasts: Natural.
- Length of maceration: 15 days
- Temp. of ferm.: 30°C.
- Control of fermentation: Computer.
- Type of fermentation tank: Stainless steel.
- Age of casks: 50% new.
- Time in cask: 12-15 months.
- Fining: Fresh egg whites.
- Filtration: None.
- Type of bottle: Bordelaise.
- Bottled at the chateau: 100%.
- Pruning: Guyot double.
- Vines per ha.: 9,000 per ha.
- Average age: 35 years
- Av. yield per ha.: 40hl
- Harvesting: Manual
- STORAGE: 5-12.
- SERVICE TEMPERATURE: 17°C.
- FOOD / CONSUMPTION: They are a perfect complement to lamb, veal, poultry and delicate game.