Marche

Select by country / region
Price
¥  –  ¥
  • ¥1310
  • ¥1311
Country
Area
Color
Style
Grade
Varietal
Producer

Name is derived from medieval times. Then the term "march” indicated a feudal territory on a frontier. At that time in Italy, this region represented the southernmost extension of the Holy Roman Empire, it was fortified and maintained as a rampart against papal pretensions. While the term was probably limited initially to a small area, it was eventually applied to the whole region. 

Marches ranks 15th among the regions in size and 13th in respect to population. There are practically no plains; mountains occupy 31% of the surface area while the hills occupy the remaining 69%. The Mountains of Marches are in fact an extension of the Apennines that forms the backbone of peninsular Italy. The vines benefit from naturally advantageous positions on hills.

They are protected from the winds blowing in off the sea and thrive as a result of prolonged exposure to the suns rays.

The climate is influenced both by the Apennines and by the sea. There is recurring dryness in the summer, and in the winter and spring, high winds blow in from the sea.

Varieties have been carefully selected and planted on all adapted soils that are of medium consistency and crumbly, characteristics that assures production of premium grapes and wines.    Production is based primarily on the Sangiovese and Motepulciano varieties for red wines and Malvasia Toscana and trebbiano for whites. Bianchello (Biancame) and Verdicchio, both native varieties, are also used in regional wine making. 

However in fact it is the fresh friendly Verdicchio, an accompaniment par excellence with shellfish, which is normally sold in an amphora shaped bottle that has garnered the attention of the world. However connoisseurs should note that there are some more serious versions of the Verdicchio.